Monday, January 17, 2011

More Monday

Just thought I would drop back in and comment on dinner tonight. It was actually better than I had hoped. You see, I have not had a lot of luck with pork roast and I used my slow cooker which is trying to give it up suddenly, cooking really hot, even on low. But, there is always a little more to the story sometimes, so here we go.

I woke up early, couldn't go back to sleep, so gave up trying and got up. I caught up on my emails, checked on the farm (facebook game which has lost interest to me lately) got started on some more laundry, did the dishes, then started some of the dishes for supper. I was asked for recipes, so am going to try and post them, at least some of them, from time to time. Most of the time I don't really use a recipe, which I need to work on as I am terrible at estimating proportions and have no idea what ingredient is gong to do what to the dish.

On to he meal. First thing, I started the pork roast. Now this really isn't much of a recipe, but here is what I did. Most of the time I do brown the meat, or sear it, but this time I didn't. I put the pork roast in the crock, added one can of beef broth, one package instant onion soup mix, one packet ranch dip mix, added a little water and let it cook. Then I started the beans. You ever get it in your head that you want to eat something that has a certain taste? Maybe one from a long time ago? Or a dish that has that something special because of what it makes you feel or remember? That was me today.


And this was the dish. Long name is Pennsylvania Dutch Green Beans, actually a variation of it. My mom used to fix these all the time and I just love that sweet sour taste from the vinegar and sugar. I got all set to make it, couldn't remember the quantities. Searched for over an hour for my Airstream Cookbook (my parents were members for years) but never found it. I know it is around here somewhere, it was not that long ago that I saw it. I finally just gave up the search. I knew the name, so I got online and googled it. Well, found almost a hundred different sites that had it. Started with the first site, WHOA! NOT the recipe. Looked through the others, the same recipe with minor adjustments in measurement and cooking. So, I winged it, doing what I remembered, I remembered well thankfully. Here is mom's recipe and a little different name.


Marinated Green Beans

2 cans French-cut green beans
1 Med. onion, cut in rings
8 Strips bacon
1/2 c. slivered almonds
6 T. sugar
4 T. vinegar

Drain beans, put in casserole dish. Place separated onions over beans. Fry bacon strips, save drippings. Cut bacon strips in halves, lay over onion rings. Sprinkle almonds over bacon. Add sugar and vinegar to the bacon drippings. Heat drippings and pour over casserole. Marinate several hours or over night. Bake 45 minutes at 350.

NOTE: I usually quarter my onion rings, my kids don't like a whole piece of onion. I took a short cut and cut up the bacon before cooking it. I don't care for French cut green beans, so I used regular green beans.

I guess I am also starting the week off already falling off the meal plan. I switched out rice for the mashed potatoes tonight, was just hungry for rice for some reason.




Dinner was a success tonight, no left overs, so that is what counts. Well, there was a lot of meat left, after all it was almost 5 pounds of roast. I cooked it all planning on putting at least half in the freezer. Got just a little over half. Now my pork roast is already cooked to use in the pulled pork sandwiches or tamales. (Am going to give it a go to make some pork tamales from scratch) Guess that is about it for tonight. Off to take a nice warm bath then to bed. Had to take mom on some errands today, it always wears us out. Because of the holiday today, have to take her again in the morning to finish up a couple of stops. She will be happy to back to her apartment in time to eat and get to the beauty shop, I will be happy to be home when the fridge repairman comes. A piece on my ice maker has been broken for a while, and when I was cleaning out some drawers I found the repair warranty that I had bought which hasn't expired yet, so I figured as long as it is still covered might as well get it fixed up. That is why we buy the extended warranty...right?

Thank you so much for dropping in for a visit, feel free to leave a comment. It is always nice to know some is reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment