Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Family Swiss Steak

I thought I might post this awesome simple recipe. I made it for my family Monday night and it was wonderful.

Family Swiss Steak

2 pounds round steak

2 Tbsp. flour

1 Tbsp. oil

1 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

1 (4 oz.) can mushrooms, stems and pieces, undrained

1 large onion, diced

1 cup tomato juice

Cut steaks in 6 pieces. Coat with flour. Brown on both sides in hot oil in a large frying pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add mushrooms with liquid, onion and tomato juice.

Cover tightly and simmer on stove or bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Serves 6


I made a few changes, due to what I had on hand. I didn't have any tomato juice so I substituted tomato sauce. I added some diced tomatoes as well. Also, maybe because of my changes, this was really soupy, the pan was full of juices to the brim. I am glad I forgot to leave the mushroom juice (I had drained them before adding them. The prep time went really fast. I put some crescent rolls in the oven with it and made the mashed potatoes after I pulled things out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment