Sunday, May 15, 2011

Menu Plan Monday - 5/16

This is what I am cooking up at our house this week.

Mon. - Tried N True Lasagna, garlic bread, salad - recipe is from Dream Dinners Cookbook - will be making a triple batch putting two in the freezer.
Tue. - Spanish Rolls, broccoli, yellow squash
Wed. - Bangers & Mash, baked beans
Thu. - Carino's Italian Chicken Marsala (recipe to be posted later in week) fettuccine, salad
Fri. - Baked pork chops, rice, fried okra - this may change, birthday dinner in works
Sat. - Stuffed chicken breast, green beans, pasta
Sun. - Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, salad

Check out I'm an Organizing Junkie's site and her Meal Plan Monday section to read hundreds of menu plans posted by bloggers.

Each week I plan a week's menu plan. It has really helped me in a number of ways. I know what I am going to be cooking that day, know what I need to make the meal, saves me time and saves me money. I have to say, I wasn't too sure that all the time spent writing out what I would cook and when would be worth it, but it really has been. I planned out a tentative month's worth of meals. Not necessarily which day for each meal, but a month's worth of meals. I made grocery list of what I would need for those meals, checked for any coupons, then hit the store. I am totally blown away with how well it has worked. I usually buy groceries, a big bill, twice a month the day after we get paid. When we get paid I withdraw a set amount for the groceries and household needs. I have really struggled with staying with in the budgeted amount. My pantry is overstocked with food that seems to get purchased all over again. Now that I have my system in place I can already see the positive results. This last pay day I only had to buy household items. Used some of the money I saved for purchasing plants, canning supplies and two bushels of green beans. Now this pay day I have a short list of items that I need to purchase, mostly replacing staples. I expect to have the funds to now take advantage of sales. Mainly meat.

Thanks for stopping in.




No comments:

Post a Comment