Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Missed Monday

Okay, had every intention to post my menu plan on Monday, for Menu Plan Monday over at Laura's blog that I follow called I'm an Organizing Junkie. It is a great site for dinner ideas and real motivator for keeping on track. All the inspiration with over 300 fellow bloggers that all post their MPM (Meal Plan Monday) menus for the week. I am constantly both amazed and surprised at the variety, you really should grab a glass of tea or cup of what ever and just sit and read through them. Every type of dish, from meat and hearty to vegetarian to light and everything in between. From all over the world too. I learned that a pie doesn't mean the same thing everywhere. LOL


This week's plan:

Mon - Salisbury Steak, mashed potatoes, beans
Tue - Chicken Rice Enchiladas, Frito Salad, cantaloupe
Wed - Baked Talapia, Salad, Dutch Green Beans
Thu - Crock pot Sloppy Joe, Tater Tots
Fri - Pizza
Sat - Sandwiches, Chips
Sun - Steak, Baked Potato, Salad

Although, Wednesday may change a little since it is expected to be 110 degrees here, and since my kitchen is west facing, not sure I want to do any baking tomorrow. But, that is the plan.

On a more positive note, tonight's dish was a huge hit. Didn't have a recipe, which happens around here a lot, but here it is.

It was so good, and you know how I tell if it is a hit? No left overs. And this particular main dish was very cheap.


I bought some rice mixes on sale, this one was a mix for Spanish rice and it was .75 and was prepared in the microwave. In to the rice I chopped up the last few pieces of some packaged fajita chicken strips costing about .50 which is pre-cooked. Flour tortillas that cost about .80 and about 2 cups of grated cheddar, divided for another 1.40 for the portion I used. There was also about .30 worth of red enchilada sauce and an avocado that was .25 sliced up. Here is what I did with all of that. I mixed the chicken and rice together. In the baking dish I layered the rice, just a thin layer to cover the bottom. Then, mixed in about half the cheese with the remaining rice mixture, spooned it in to a tortilla and added avocado slices, rolled up and placed a toothpick to hold it closed. Layered these on top of the rice. Poured a little bit of the enchilada sauce over the tops of the rolled flour tortillas. Layered the rest of the cheese all over the rolled tortillas. Placed slices of avocado on top of that, loosely covered with foil and popped in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, opened the foil and spooned sour cream on topped with sliced black olives, placed back in oven to just warm the sour cream. Total for the main dish was approximately $4.20. Add in about $2.00 more dollars for the salad and cantaloupe and dinner was a total of $6.20 and there is actually enough left over for my lunch tomorrow. Not bad, since I am having a little trouble adjusting my cooking to servings of 3. I cooked for so long making everything for 8 because when the boys were home they ate seconds on everything. Then, went down to cooking for 6, when oldest son left home and since I was working would just take left overs with me for lunch. Now, youngest son isn't home anymore so it is just the three of us and I am trying to eat healthy breakfast, light lunch, and then healthier family dinners so the goal is no left overs.

Speaking of eating, thinking of tables, and all these vintage garments running around my head pleading to be made up. I know, long run on fragment of a sentence there. At any rate, while I was going through boxes and bins of fabric and treasures that were packed away, I came across these and had to share.
I saved these from the estate sale we had when moving mom out here. They are just too precious. They are placemats, probably from late 30's or early to mid 40's, I estimate this because according to mom they were pre-married life. My parents married in 1946 not long after dad got home from the war. The flower is appliqued down with the bottom petal left free so the tip of the napkin can pull through to hold it in place. There are embroidered details on the leaves and vines as well. I just love the scalloped yellow edge which is hand stitched. I have eight of them. Mom believes in settings of eight for everything when it comes to the table. Always has.

Tomorrow is the kick off for the women's bible study at our church. Since no longer working, I am so looking forward to getting back to the group. And...big news here...for me anyway...I was asked to run for a position on the women's ministry board. The elections are in September, so will let you know how that turns out. I thought I wanted to try for one position, but after looking over the position descriptions, I am so happy that they needed me for the one they suggested and I really hope I get to be a part of this board.

Thanks for stopping in an visiting my little world today, feel free to leave a comment as it is always nice to know that someone read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment